Saturday, December 8, 2012

Where are all these -ENs coming from???


Past Participles -- (-en)

Old English
Storng verbs:
Tense being changed by quality of the vowel.
stelan - Infinitive (to steal)
ic stele - present 1st sing (I steal)
ic stæl - past 1st sing (I stole)
stelende - present participle (stealing)
(ge)stolen - past participle (stolen)

Weak verbs:
Idicate tense by adding an ending
hælan - infinitive (to heal)
ic hæle - present 1st person sing (i heal)
ic hælde - past 1st person sing (i healed)
hælende - present participle (healing)
hæled - past participle (healed)

Modern English
In my opinion, I think that in various dialects of English (esp in North American English) the people are reanylizing the -en suffix onto verbs that originally had not had it.
Verbs such as buy -->boughten, and bring---> broughten are two I can 100% confirm that people say in certain dialects.
More research and looking into this will have to be done but It will be interesting to see if any other verbs are doing this.

-Нафаня-

P.S. Yes there is a trend in other dialects to remove the participle and replace it with the past tense from. (this trend the more common of the two)
I have ridden/I have rode

2 comments:

  1. Oooh "boughten" and "broughten" drive me up the wall! But yes, people definitely say them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I say boughten more often then broughten but say both :)

      Delete